“If you can’t say anything nice, then don’t say anything at
all.” Sometimes I wonder if various adults did not learn this when they were
young. This was one of the thoughts that was running through my head as I read
this (http://blogs.babycenter.com/mom_stories/020614-hey-my-family-is-not-incomplete-without-a-son/)
article. In this article, a mother writes about how often strangers approach
her family in public places making impolite remarks about their three daughters
or asking if they are going to keep trying to have a boy. What gives complete
and total strangers the right to make rude comments to another complete
stranger/stranger’s family? I honestly do not understand why random people
choose to say disrespectful things to someone they do not even know. The rude
stranger will probably never see that other person again, so why bother them
with what you think about their family? Why do strangers make others feel
ashamed of their lives? Maybe this
family only wanted three kids, so why do people trouble them by asking if they
are going to try for a boy or say rude things about their daughters when the
girls are right there and can hear you talking about them? “Think before you
speak,” is another quote that many people should take to heart. Because most of
the time you do not know the whole story. Maybe after having their three girls,
they found out they could not have any more children, or maybe they are trying
for a boy now, but no one knows everyone’s stories. As a result, next time try
saying something nice instead, or just smile and keep walking. Often times it
is better not to say anything at all. Let us all try to be more polite and keep
our own opinions to ourselves when amongst strangers.
This is so true, ironically, it seems like people often as they get older feel they have earned the right to voice their opinions on everything. The truth of the matter is that many people do not think before speaking. I often get the "one boy and one girl, so you are done having kids." My husband and I are sure we want more, I cannot wait (sarcasm) for strangers to comment that the third "must have been a mistake."
ReplyDelete